WHEATONARTS TO HOST MEDIEVAL-THEMED FANTASY FAIRE ON JUNE 23 & 24
MILLVILLE, NJ (June 9, 2018) – Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center is pleased to announce that Fantasy Faire will be held on Saturday, June 23th and Sunday, June 24th from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. both days. In partnership with Mystic Realms, Ltd. ®, this twelfth annual event features talented actors, musicians, and performers as they bring to life the “Kingdom of Wheaton” by enacting a series of interconnected shows that tell the story of the day. Strolling costumed characters, portraying historical and mythical figures, interact with each other and WheatonArts visitors throughout the campus during both days of Fantasy Faire.
At Fantasy Faire, the Medieval and Renaissance periods are blended with mythology and contemporary popular fantasy. Visitors are welcome to dress in their favorite costumes to watch and engage with a variety of family-friendly characters, from kings to elves and gypsy dancers to famous characters like Robin Hood. The whole family will be immersed in an interactive day of performing arts. Watch demonstrations of medieval combat and sword fighting, join a scavenger hunt to win pirate coins, train as a warrior princess, dance with ribbons around the Spring Pole, try your hand at archery, learn the secrets of contact juggling, create your own fire-breathing dragon marionette, and more! Food and refreshments will be available for purchase.
- The Kingdom of Wheaton’s Grand Tournament of Prosperity in which the Baron’s champions fight for glory and honor.
- Engaging and interactive storytelling! Join Rose Trueheart, Beatrix Potter, and others as children’s favorite storybook characters read some of their favorite tales to the audience.
- Medieval, Renaissance and Folk music performances, including the musical stylings of the “The Misplaced Pub” band, and flute melodies by storybook characters.
- Spring Pole Raising and Ribbon Dance, with participation from children and their parents.
- Demonstrations of medieval combat by Phoenix Swords, Renaissance dancing, textile production, arms and armor, archery, and other Renaissance-related activities.
- Archery and knife throwing for the grown-ups and adventurer and warrior princess training for kids and those young of heart.
- Learn to sail the seven seas with a rascally band of pirates! These scallywags will teach you to swab the deck, how to divvy up treasure, and the importance of a solid worker’s compensation package!
- Token “Two-Man Comedy Sword Fighting Show, That You Would See at an Outdoor Festival Show” Show! These identical twin sword-fighting brothers will teach you to be an adventurer in your daily life.
- Join the Kingdom of Wheaton Scavenger Hunt to win pirate coins for prizes.
- “The Villagers Debate” on important cultural topics from medieval and mythological life. The winner gets the esteemed position of “Village Judge” and the losers get wet.
- The Armchair Wizards MMOLARPGS, a Multiplayer On-stage Live-Action Role-Playing Game Show, pick three volunteers to join their Dungeon Master of Ceremonies and play a parody game of Dungeons and Dragons with a comically oversized twenty-sided die.
Vendors will offer a variety of unique products including jewelry, medieval and fantasy costumes, leather goods, and psychic readings. At the Museum of American Glass, children can create their own fire-breathing dragon marionettes and participate in an imaginary friend creative writing prompt inspired by the works of Kim Thomas in the new exhibition “Symbiotic Spheres: The Interlocking Worlds of Glass, Science and Art”. Visitors receive a detailed program of activities each day.
Fantasy Faire is included in the price of admission to WheatonArts. Admission for the general public is $10.00 Adults, $9.00 Senior Adults, and $7.00 for Students. Children five and under are free. Tickets are available at the front gate. For more information about WheatonArts visit www.wheatonarts.org or call 856.825.6800. Information about Mystic Realms ®, can be found by calling 856.430.0716 or visiting online at mysticrealms.com.
WheatonArts strives to ensure the accessibility of its exhibitions, events, and programs to all persons with disabilities. Provide two weeks’ notice for additional needs. Patrons with hearing and speech disabilities may contact WheatonArts through the New Jersey Relay Service (TRS) 800-852-7899 or by dialing 711.
Funding has been made possible in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, and the New Jersey Cultural Trust. WheatonArts also receives general operating support from the New Jersey Historical Commission, Division of Cultural Affairs in the New Jersey Department of State and is supported in part by the New Jersey Department of State, Division of Travel and Tourism.
With a history spanning four decades, WheatonArts has earned regional, national and international recognition for its unique collections and programs. The Museum of American Glass, accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, houses one of the most comprehensive collections of American glass in the country…from the first glass bottles made in America to celebrated works by Dale Chihuly and other contemporary artists who work in glass. Visitors experience the art of glassmaking, ceramics and flameworking in the Artists Studios. From April through December the Museum of American Glass and Gallery of Fine Craft present special exhibitions. WheatonArts also offers traditional and multi-cultural programs, classes, workshops, performances, and weekend festivals. The award-winning Museum Stores offer traditional and contemporary art and craft in all mediums.
About Mystic Realms ®
Mystic Realms ® is a theater company incorporated to organize events that create interactive drama through role-playing. Events use the Mystic Realms ® Live-Action and Dice-Play rules systems and encourage the development of characters within realistic, thought-provoking game settings. Mystic Realms ® was created in the early 1990s and has expanded, since then, into many new and exciting game worlds.