Teen Arts Council
WheatonArts’ Teen Arts Council empowers youth to explore their creativity, amplify their voices, and work collaboratively to shape a youth community within a dynamic, safe space where the passions and perspectives of local teens converge with the rich traditions of arts and humanities, thereby sparking an institutional dialogue about our present and future. The program helps students build transferable skills for college, employment, and beyond, with opportunities to explore the arts through creativity, critical thinking, and teamwork.
Students chosen to participate will dedicate time at WheatonArts once a month to work as a group to develop and execute an exciting project overseen by WheatonArts staff. During the orientation period, students will learn about WheatonArts and its mission to engage artists and audiences in an evolving exploration of creativity. Teen Arts Council students will work together to decide on a group project. Examples of group projects include (but are not limited to) creating a WheatonArts family guide, an art & historical exhibit on a specific topic of interest, a traveling educational program, an inclusive touch tour of the Museum, creation of zines on a particular topic, oral history program. There will also be time throughout the program to shadow and learn from WheatonArts staff.
Teen Arts Council Benefits:
- Working and collaborating in a creative environment
- Learning about various art forms, history, program planning, teamwork, and project execution through hands-on experience
- Developing leadership skills
- Networking for educational and professional connections
- Program certificate of completion for resumes
- Complimentary Student Membership to WheatonArts
- A WheatonArts graduation cord*
- Letters of recommendation from the program coordinators
Apply for a Teen Council Seat!
Are you a local high school student interested in joining the local creative community? Apply to WheatonArts’ Teen Arts Council and develop professional skills while working collaboratively with your peers and WheatonArts staff and artists.
- Application Opens: November 1
- Application Closes: December 1 by 11:59 p.m. EDT
- Chosen Participants Notified: December 13
- Orientation: January 2024 (date TBD)
- Monthly Meetings: February through June. Dates are TBD, and June includes a wrap-up celebration.
- Dedicate one day a month to be on the WheatonArts campus. Dates and times will be decided closer to the program date.
- Students will be expected to work as a team with some individual project work.
- Students will be responsible for their own transportation to and from WheatonArts.
- At least one letter of recommendation is required to apply for a seat on the Teen Arts Council. This letter can come from a teacher, guidance counselor, coach, community leader, or volunteer coordinator. Please send the person writing your letter this link for them to complete. You may submit multiple letters, but please no more than three.
- Application & Recommendation Letter Due Date: December 1, 2023 by 11:59 p.m.
- Chosen applicants for the 2024 Teen Arts Council will be contacted directly by a WheatonArts staff member for a short interview.
Questions? If you have questions about the application or need technical assistance, please email either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
WheatonArts’ Teen Arts Council is supported by the New Jersey Council for the Humanities with funding from the State of New Jersey and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
*Graduation cords will be granted upon approval from the student’s school district.