Noticing all the flowers blooming around your house or on your nature walks? Capture their beauty by creating a nature suncatcher in 5 simple steps! In this craft, use your favorite plants to design a unique suncatcher to hang from your window.
- Paper Plate
- Transparent Con-tact Paper
- Flowers and Leaves
Step 1: Begin by creating your nature suncatcher frame. Do this by cutting out the middle section of your paper plate.
Step 2: Cut a circle out of the transparent con-tact paper large enough to overlap the paper plate’s opening.
Step 3: Arrange your flower petals and leaves onto your con-tact paper creating a composition you like.
Step 4: Cut a second circle from your con-tact paper and place it on top of your arranged flowers to seal in your design.
Step 5: Finish your suncatcher by taping a string to the back of the plate and hanging it from a window.
Ideas to take your nature suncatcher to the next level:
- Include colored tissue paper to your composition to add some extra color and a stained glass effect!
- Create a more intricate frame by painting your paper plate or cutting around the perimeter with decorative scissors.
- Get fancy and add stings of small colorful beads to dangle from the edges of the paper plate.
Learning and Discussion Questions:
1. After creating a beautiful flower-filled suncatcher, are you curious to learn more? Discover the importance of flowers and their different parts with this SciShow Kids video!
2. Can you name the different types of leaves you gathered to create your suncatcher? Use this video to help identify which type of leaves are in your collection.
3. Do you have extra flowers left over? Use this link to explore more creative ways to use your flowers in craft projects.
Thank you to our sponsor, PNC Arts Alive!, for helping to make this video possible!