WheatonArts To Host Renaissance-Themed Fantasy Faire On June 24 & 25
MILLVILLE, NJ (June 6, 2017) – Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center is pleased to announce that Fantasy Faire will be held on Saturday, June 24th and Sunday, June 25th from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day. In partnership with Mystic Realms, Ltd. ®, this annual event features talented actors, musicians, and performers as they bring to life the “Kingdom of Wheaton” by enacting a series of interconnected shows that tell the story of the day. Strolling costumed characters, portraying historical and mythical figures, interact with each other and WheatonArts visitors throughout the campus during both days of Fantasy Faire.
Role-playing has been referred to by many as a form of performing arts, with elements of improvisational theater. Performing arts, often defined as “forms of creative activity performed in front of an audience, such as drama, music, and dance,” is another form of expression that intersects with the WheatonArts mission to engage artists and audiences in an evolving exploration of creativity. At Fantasy Faire, historical facts from the Medieval and Renaissance periods are blended with mythology and contemporary popular fantasy. Visitors should expect to watch and engage with a variety of family-friendly characters. From kings to elves and gypsy dancers to famous characters like Robin Hood, the whole family will be immersed in an interactive day of performing arts.
- The Kingdom of Wheaton’s Grand Tournament of Prosperity in which the Baron’s champions fight for glory and honor
- Story Book Grove, where characters like Cinderella, Prince Charming, Beauty and the Beast, and the Pied Piper share stories and delight audiences
- Renaissance and folk music performances, including the musical stylings of the “The Misplaced Pub” band
- The raising of the Spring Pole and Wrapping Dance
- Demonstrations of medieval combat by Phoenix Swords and Mystic Mercenaries of Philadelphia, Renaissance dancing, textile production, arms and armor, archery, and other Renaissance-related activities
- At the Court of Miracles, children can meet Esmeralda and other characters from the Hunchback of Notre Dame and watch dancing and drumming demonstrations
- Knife throwing for adults and archery and adventure training for children and the young at heart.
Vendors will offer a variety of unique products including jewelry, medieval and fantasy costumes, leather goods, and psychic readings. Activities include a pirate-themed gaming area, face painting (fee required), and free family art activities. Food and refreshments will be available for purchase. Visitors receive a detailed program schedule for each day.
Fantasy Faire is included in the price of admission to WheatonArts. Admission for the general public is $10.00 Adults, $9.00 Senior Adults, and $7.00 for Students. Children five and under are free. Tickets are available at the gate. For more information about WheatonArts and special rates for groups can be found online at www.wheatonarts.org or by calling 856-825-6800. Information about Mystic Realms ®, can be found by calling 856.430.0716 or visiting online at mysticrealms.com.
WheatonArts strives to ensure the accessibility of its exhibitions, events, and programs to all persons with disabilities. Provide two weeks’ notice for additional needs. Patrons with hearing and speech disabilities may contact WheatonArts through the New Jersey Relay Service (TRS) 800-852-7899 or by dialing 711.
Funding has been made possible in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, and the New Jersey Cultural Trust. WheatonArts also receives general operating support from the New Jersey Historical Commission, Division of Cultural Affairs in the New Jersey Department of State and is supported in part by the New Jersey Department of State, Division of Travel and Tourism.
Get a PDF of the Press Release